Alexanders letter to Persian king Darius

“Your ancestors invaded Macedonia and the rest of Greece and committed horrific crimes, pillages and disasters to our people without any provocation or wrongdoing from us at all. Now, that I have become king of all Greeks, I have come to Asia in order to avenge your unprovoked crimes and disasters you have committed against us.... In addition, you have helped the Perinthians, who unjustly wronged my father, while Ohus sent his army to Thrace, which was territory in our possession. Furthermore, my father was assassinated by a conspiracy that you organized, as you yourselves have advertised and propagated throughout the world...... I have therefore, undertaken this military campaign against you, because you started the animosity...." (Arrian B 14, 4).



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 
Copyright 2007 Melita Insula